I am two. Well, I turned two yesterday. Yes, sanjoyroy.net went live on 20 May 2013. And still, I live. Hahaha!
So today, I did a quick glance over what I’d written over the last year, and selected some of my own highlights. The top spot, no doubt about it, goes to:
1. Planet Dance: a visitor’s guide to contemporary dance. I am SO glad this finally went live – and that is has been such a hit. Since it was released in late January, Episode 1 has had around 20,000 views on YouTube, followed by Body Talk Level 1 (6000), Level 2 (3400) and Level 3 (3100). Big thanks to project director Chris Thomson and uber-talented animator Magali Charrier.
Other stuff I like includes (in no particular order):
2. Hetain Patel: American Boy. Frankensteinian film-karaoke of a brown boy’s composite superhero fantasies. Great fun to write up.
3. Rasta Thomas’s Romeo and Juliet. OK, this was not a good piece of choreography, but I did like writing about it as if it were a teenpic/high-school musical (which it kind of was).
4. Musée de la danse. A transfixing and revelatory event – which was way more than I was expecting.
And what did YOU read most? The top 3 most viewed posts were:
1. Akram Khan and Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui: Zero Degrees (2005). Yes, with you there.
2. One to watch: Storyboard P (2013). The post I launched my site with, still pulling you in. With you there too.
3. DV8 Physical Theatre at Tate Modern (2003). More Tate Modern. Is Tate Modern a “thing”?
Signing off for now, but I can promise some more goodies coming up soon, including a review of the wondrous D’Avant (probably posted in July), all about religion and the clang of flesh with symbol, and a review of Igor & Moreno’s Idiot-syncrasy, a lovely piece of minimalism-with-a-heart-and-a-human-face (yes, it’s possible), which I’ll post some in early June.
Thanks for being here. Till next time,